This eggplant dish will surprise you, as when you are eating it you will wonder if this is actually an eggplant. Or maybe this is mushrooms?
Anyway, it will be gone in no time as you will find yourself reaching for more. If you manage to have some leftovers, this dish is great on the next day as a deeper flavour will develop in the fridge. I had a hard time classifying it, as it could be used as a side dish or as a main with a slice of fresh bread. It is super easy to make and it is a perfect meal during this time of the year, when eggplants are abundant (and cheep!) at farmers’ markets and grocery stores.
- 1 large eggplant, cut up french fry style
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Mix eggplant and eggs and let it sit for about 25 minutes, until eggplant absorbs most of the eggs
- Heat the butter on a medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan
- Add eggplant to the pan and fry for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add onions and garlic
- Add seasonings
- Lower the heat slightly and keep cooking until onions and garlic begin to colour, about 15 minutes
- Let the dish cool off a bit and serve