You probably know by now that in my world potato is a magical vegetable. It can be cooked in so many different ways and used in such a variety of dishes that it is an absolute staple in my shopping cart and on my dining table (I do not have a kitchen table and we eat all of our meals in the dining room, in case you were wondering ;)).
One of my favourite ways to eat potatoes is to have them mashed. I always make a big batch and use leftovers for a quick gnocchi meal or to make stuffing for pyrohy (AKA pierogie). I have discovered over the years that not everyone knows how to make perfect mashed potatoes: light, fragrant and creamy. They make a perfect side dish to anything and are great on their own as well (if you are anything like me).
- Yukon Gold potatoes are my favourite for this recipe while both my mom and my mother-in-law prefer Russet (baking) ones. Red skinned potatoes work well too
- It is absolutely up to you how much salt to put in your mashed potatoes, just remember that potatoes like salt and you may have to add more for a better flavour
- Garlic is optional.
The ingredients (serves 6 with leftovers):
- 7 medium potatoes (approximately 1.2 lbs), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves of garlic (optional), peeled
- 2 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- Put potatoes in a medium pot and cover them with water
- Add salt
- Add garlic if using
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil on a medium high heat
- Keep the lid on and reduce the heat to medium low. If water keeps escaping from the pot, tilt the lid a bit to let the steam escape (ideally, the pot should stay covered)
- Boil potatoes for approximately 45 minutes, util tender when pierced with fork
- Drain the water
- Warm milk in a microwave for 30 seconds – do not skip this step!
- Add milk to potatoes and start mashing them with a potato masher. Alternatively, feel free to use a kitchen mixer to whip them for extra fluffiness
- Add butter
- Add sour cream if using (if will give the potatoes a slightly tangy flavour)
- Mash or whip all of the ingredients together until smooth and lump free
- Adjust salt if needed
- Serve and enjoy!