I have been using quite a bit of kale in my dishes recently, mainly due to the fact that I put it in my morning smoothies and then must figure out what to do with the rest of the leaves. For some reason, grocery stores don’t sell just a little bit of kale but a huge bunch of it and I have no room in my fridge or freezer to store it (same story with dill, although space for dill is easier to find. WHY are those herb bunches so big???). I have also promised my husband to keep the freezer only 2/3 filled, which is proving to be quite difficult. He claims that the freezer is so full, there is no room for ice cream, should he want to buy some (it could also be a ploy on my end in order to keep his waist slim and trim).
The good news is, kale is full of vitamins, nutrients and fiber and I have learned while googling it that it belongs to the cabbage family. I had no idea! Kale is quite easy to incorporate into a lot of previously kale-less dishes, like my leek and potato soup or this chicken with mushrooms in a rich and creamy garlic sauce. For this recipe I use Boursin with fine herbs and garlic and try very hard not to eat at least half of the cheese before it manages to get up onto the stove. You can substitute the heavy cream with light cream or milk (coconut milk might work too!) to make the sauce a bit lighter, but I feel that the health benefits of kale make up for the caloric richness of some other ingredients, non?
Serve it over pasta or boiled potatoes with any salad on a side.
The ingredients (serves 6):
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 packages Boursin cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 handfuls kale, shredded
- 1 handful parsley leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat and fry the chicken until it’s cooked and has developed slight colour. You will have to do it in a few batches
- Transfer cooked chicken into a separate dish and set it aside
- Put garlic and onion into the frying pan and cook until soft and translucent
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and reduce in half
- Add cooked chicken, Boursin, chicken stock and cream, lower the heat to medium low and gently stir to let the cheese fully melt and dissolve into the sauce
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper
- Add kale and cook for about 5 more minutes, until kale is wilted
- Stir in parsley leaves and serve with a side of your choice